Special Abilities of North Texas is a non-profit 501(c)3 charitable organization that provides training, education, development, health care and fitness, and social & recreational services for adults with special needs in North Texas.
[one_third]Some of the types of individual needs include:
- Developmental disabilities (such as autism, cerebral palsy, down syndrome, intellectual disabilities,)
- Individuals who may be chronically ill
- Those with a physical disability or challenge due to trauma, accident etc.
- Senior citizens facing dementia or Alzheimer’s.
[/one_third] [one_third_last][slideshow id=1][/one_third_last]
Through our mission and vision, our goal is to support families and caregivers by serving any individual age 18 and up that needs daytime support. We help develop their lives through supportive programs including:
- Pre-vocational training
- Life Skills Training & Social interaction
- Physical fitness, Health & Nutrition
- Continuing Education/Academic instruction
- Medical care
- Recreation & Community Integration
We are one of very few programs that is state licensed (Day Hab, Adult Day Care) to provide respite support to family caregivers who are responsible for the care of their loved ones with special needs. We provide cost-effective, positive and compassionate activities, training, support, health care and socialization. All of our clients are served by Licensed Nurses, trained professional Program staff. We have a strong volunteer program that includes many groups and organizations from the community, including University of North Texas, Texas Womans University, local churches, Rotary and Lions Clubs who often provide their support at Day Stay for Adults.
During a client’s day they will be provided with activities of daily living including:
- Personal care
- Special Education and Academics
- Physical fitness and motor activity training
- Pre-vocational training
- Social skills/Community interaction
- Pet therapy
- Art therapy
Clients are ensured a safe and secure environment from our professional staff and licensed nurses. We also provide individualized care, personal medical attention and nutritious meals. Clients have the opportunity to make new friends and socialize with fellow clients, staff, visitors and volunteers. While at the center, clients participate in meaningful, stimulating, and fun social activities designed to enrich their lives and provide continuing educational opportunities. At the end of the day, they are reunited with their families and the family unit remains intact with the potential for a better quality family life at home and in the community.